Thursday, February 10, 2005

Wack History Month

I have grown tired of the deification of Martin Luther King, Jr. While it is acceptable and even encouraged to reveal moral lapses in the biographies of most historical figures, especially those of British or American origins, two prominent men's lives still are not widely available in HD. One is Gandhi, the other is Martin Luther King, Jr., the focus of this post. Let's see if I can put a scratch in the Teflon.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was unavoidably guilty of committing numerous counts of plagiarism. This is the reason why such a beloved man's dissertation is nowhere to be found; one would think it would be required reading for "racial sensitivity" indoctrination at campuses across the U.S., but the work King submitted as his own is in fact someone else's words.

"When our research was published in June 1991 in the Journal of American History, the article made clear that King's plagiarism was a general pattern evident in nearly all of his academic writings. Although the plagiaries in the dissertation were less egregious than the press reports had suggested, they were more extensive throughout King's papers than had been reported. We found that instances of textual appropriation can be seen in his earliest extant writings as well as his dissertation. The pattern is also noticeable in his speeches and sermons throughout his career."--

It turns out that revered "I have a dream" speech should actually be attributed to Archibald Carey. The author of the aforementioned quotation goes on to skillfully weave a post-modern equivocation of the general crime of plagiarism applicable in the case of black academics. It is a fantastic read; I probably would have cut-and-paste the entire article onto this blog with no mention of the true author had I been black.

Add this reality to accounts from King's best friend regarding his habitual fornication, and the truth is that Martin Luther King, Jr. was not worthy of our worship, despite his national holiday and admirable crusade for civil rights.

The primary reason it is important to tear down false idols is because Jesus lived the only perfect life. God is the only Holy One.

More reading
Last one

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...
I agree completly. I find myself just as guilty when I go to a Cardinal playoff game and literally jump up and down in worship when Pujols, Rolen, Waler, and Edmonds hit homeruns. I should get that outwardly excited about Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I meant to type "Walker" and not "Waler". Although Waler is pretty good, too.

Oneway the Herald said...

Right on man. Your baseball parallel is especially sharp because it reminds me how I used to love Sammy until I found out what a loser he is. I could also mention the Michaels, Jordan and Jackson.

There is only one hero.

Waler rules.

The General said...

Yeah, like Jesse Jackson. Who would have thought he would cheat on his wife?
I would love to see who can come up with the "best" fallen hero.
I'm going to throw Kirby Puckett out there. He was Minnesota's poster child, then we find out he's a wife-beating pervert. Man does THAT guy suck.

AJ said...

Once again, taking aim at the "ethics" of PC America... I think so long as we Christians are up front about the skeletons in our closets, we shouldn't be abashed about trashing various cultural idols.

Nice work.

The General said...

I think a big disappointment for Christians was Lance Armstrong. Secular culture still regards him as a great conqueror of cancer and the Tour De France.
I see him as another illustration of how, for many, it is much easier to fulfill marriage vows in sickness, in poorness, and for worse, than in health, in richness, and for better. Plus I hear he is somehow taking credit for beating cancer. Somebody should remind him his arms aren't so long that he can box with God.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I saw an interview with Lance Armstrong a few years ago (one of those 20 minute behind the lines segments on ESPN) and he was talking about how he had beaten cancer and had come back to win that little cycle race. He specifically said I did this, I beat Cancer, and I won the Tour de France, and didn't need anyone's help to do it. Ever since then I've been denouncing Lance Armstrong as an American hero, even though it is hard to resist buying one of those snazzy little yellow bracelts to look cool.

-phil

matt said...

don't forget Lance's great cameo in Dodgeball.

as much as his personal character can be challenged, i do think Lance has been a strong advocate for cancer research, helping a lot with that cause. i think he does care about the individuals who are going through what he's been there, though he doesn't include God in the situation.

and as a wearer of one of the "LIVESTRONG" bracelets, i see it much more as in support of cancer research than supporting Lance Armstrong himself.

Oneway the Herald said...

Has anyone looked at the type of advice that Livestrong offers?