Monday, June 06, 2005

The truth is R-rated

I was pissed off when I first listened to the lyrics from Destiny's Child's cockeyed club-banger "Soldier". The song features the trio deplorably declaring their masochistic need for a weed-smoking, gun-toting, platinum-front clenching criminal. The tragic thing is, beneath the garish glamour, they accurately depict what has become a definite part of the American urban culture that is also sadly emulated in the suburbs and rural areas.

Another enraging aspect worth noting is the groups' degrading of the image of a soldier by applying it to the criminals in their neighborhoods. A true soldier is a well-disciplined warrior with integrity, honor, and a sense of justice. The thug slangin' down the block is about as far as a man could be from being a soldier.

Jesus frequently derided lawyers and religious leaders, but when he met a Roman soldier with faith in Him, he marveled aloud.

If you skip this whole post, please still read the account here: True soldier

How was the Roman soldier able to display a faith that Jesus did not find anywhere in Israel? The Spirit of God taught the soldier Truth through the authority he wielded over men. This soldier was obviously a leader, he acquired power and through it came to understand God's power more clearly than those memorizing the Torah for years. This passage is a warning to me and all would-be scholars; the Kingdom of God will not be found in books. The soldier's story prods me to seek leadership roles to further understand who my Lord is.

As an aside, some soldiers who valiantly fought in Iraq have recorded a ground-breaking rap album called "Live from Iraq", which was actually recorded in Bahgdad during the war. The site I linked gives an incredible history of the album's creation, with some verses being spit immediately after a soldier's venture into combat. I have already paid for a copy to be sent to my crib. It is a truly visceral work, frothing with anger, frustration, loyalty, hope and boldness as only a soldier experiencing war could pen. This album is not about sittin' on dubs. It is not for the squemish. The soldiers Beyonce and co. blithely babble about are called out as frauds. The foolish media calling for fighting a soft war gets blasted. The military leadership succumbing to pusillanimous pressures and hand-cuffing the soldiers' ability to kill effectively receive a piece of the pie as well. It is an honest account straight from the front lines of the fight for freedom.

Listen to the first two minutes of each track here

Watch a disturbingly vivid music video here

I pray God will teach justice and strengthen resolve to the courageous men and women fighting in the armed services. They need it.

5 comments:

The General said...

For as much as I used to listen to rap music, I can't stand it anymore. There is so much to hate about it I hardly know where to begin. But the thing is, the reasons I hate it have nothing to do with rap itself, it's all about the culture that today's rap music is celebrating. It's terrible. It's terrible music and a terrible culture.

AJ said...

Solid post, man.

"...American urban culture that is also sadly emulated in the suburbs and rural areas."

Did you intend the double meaning there? Most of the emulators in the KC burbs are pretty sad.

I might take issue with one phrase, although I doubt we actually disagree:

"the Kingdom of God will not be found in books."

Except the most direct method of learning about the kingdom comes in book form... Definitely, though, scholarly expertise is a pathetic excuse for lived-out truth, which is what I think you're gettin' at.

I'd say "bookish" leanings with a penchant for decisive action is a strong combination.

Oneway the Herald said...

the general, let me have your hip hop cd's. Commercial rap is worthy of contempt, but the art form is beautiful as is any music or endeavor when sprung from the Vine. Hip hop is unique in many wonderful ways; one being the sheer volume of words required to write a track allows for unparalleled depths to be probed by the true MC. These people are rare, but they do exist. I'll have to do a post on some real hip hop.

Ariel, I wish I could take credit for the double entendre. But it was a coincidence, or maybe I'm getting that much better at writing, that cleverness is unconsciously infused? Nope, that's not it.

>>I'd say "bookish" leanings with a penchant for decisive action is a strong combination.<<

I would go further and say this is the only combination for a true leader. I, too, doubt we disagree on the whole.

>>the most direct method of learning about the kingdom comes in book form<<

We must remember that the Enemy knows the Word, in the strictly "academic" or "scholarly" sense, or however we should describe it to separate that awareness from how by God's grace we can KNOW the Word. Obedience indicates whether you don't know, you know, or you KNOW, if you will.

Linds said...

Dear The Dude and Oneway:

Hello! My blog is now up and running in firefox, too, so no more headaches, eh? I'd weigh in on this conversation, but as a lawyer I think I'll just keep quiet. :) Enjoy!

AJ said...

"Obedience indicates whether you don't know, you know, or you KNOW, if you will."

Ka-ching! Another right-on point hits the blogosphere.