Saturday, December 10, 2005

Narnia (Turkish Delight Remix)

What in the world is Turkish Delight? I first learned of this food this fall while reading C.S. Lewis' wondrous book The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. After seeing the film adaptation of the classic tale, I at least know what Turkish Delight looks like. The film does an admirable job of using sharp details to draw viewers into the context in which Lewis' story was written and is to be celebrated, namely, from widest in scope to smallest: World War II, Europe, England, and lastly, a child's perspective.

Much can be said about the distilling nature of war, particularly World War II; in college dorms across the United States, philosophical debates involving the nature of good and evil consistently invoke the German Nazi's as the go-to illustration of evil. The film LWW (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) contains refreshing clarity regarding good and evil; there are no attempts made to reduce the world of Narnia into the muddle of moral grayscale that is all too common in films these days. Aslan the Lion is an authentic hero the viewer can cheer without hesitation.

The European/English context also adds character to the tale. Because LWW opens with a gripping scene of Luftwaffe bombers delivering destruction to English cities, the viewer is immediately given a vivid glimpse of life on the doorstep of terror. Providentially, modern America does not know the unique calamity of having a neighboring country similar to Nazi Germany. Europeans experienced an intimacy with moral darkness throughout World War II that provides a sure foundation for Lewis' fantasy.

However, the singularly most foundational perspective to enjoying LWW film for all of its worth is the child's precious vantage point. I remember watching a child in the movie unabashedly step into a forest without showing any concern about the exact path home; I'm thinking, "Wait, you should mark the way you came in first..." before I slowly realized then and throughout the film that the child's simplicity and eager faith are the reason the adventure occurs at all. LWW resounds with rich illustrations of child-like wonder and hopeful anticipation. The film explores some deep realms such as man’s quest for justice, portrayed by Edmund’s experience, but even this vast topic gains a fresh lucidity when seen from a young boy’s eyes.

The Chronicle of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a resplendent film with gorgeous visuals, compelling plot, and memorable characters. But, the greatest prize gained from delving into this adventure is a renewed appreciation for receiving life like a child.

7 comments:

Linds said...

My parents want to go see Narnia- they're trying to talk my brother and I into a 'family outing', so I'll definitely be back for the review. :)

The_Dude: I had to change my blogspot due to unforeseen 'circumstances'. Follow my name back to my new digs! Later, guys.

matt said...

great analysis, oneway.

i think the girl who played Lucy deserves an Oscar nomination.

philthy said...

i agree, lucy was amazing.

i always thought turkish delight was a kind of cigarette.

great film, though it will probably be snubbed come oscar time since Aslan wasn't euthanized or something.

AJ said...

I slowly realized then and throughout the film that the child's simplicity and eager faith are the reason the adventure occurs at all.

I really like this observation. The simplicity of the story gradually grows on you - events and motives are direct and vivid, not a postmodern gray, as you note. The glow of a childlike trust definitely lights up the film. Lewis was on to something.

Anonymous said...

Great review! I read a story when I was very young, long before I had read LLW, about a girl who "saved Christmas" while her mother was in the hospital by cleaning, decorating and cooking their family's traditional Christmas dinner.(I think it was in a good housekeeping magazine.) There was a five onion soup, some type of sticky buns,an entire meal really and Turkish Delight- recipes included! The story contained a photograph of turkish delight. I though it looked like the most marvelous pink jello jiggler covered with powder sugar. I assmued it was berry flavored or something even more divine. I decided immediately that it must be a delicious treat and I vowed to make it some day. I think this experience gave me a lot more pity for Edmund when I first read the book. Until....
This past summer I was browsing Meijer's international foods aisle and there it was: individually wrapped turkish delight. I bought one and split it with my dad.
We both spit it out. It has more of the texture of a gum drop than gelatin and it's flavored with rose. Yes, it taste like I was biting in to something I bought from a florist. Being American and unaccustomed to gooey flower flavored treats, I was quite disappointed.
Edmund now seems all the more misguided to me.

Rodney Olsen said...

As well as the traditional turkish delight, as eaten by Edmund in the film, we have a chocolate covered turkish delight. Mmmm.

Oneway the Herald said...

linds,

I hope the "family outing" was fun. I'll check out your new blog.

bensheets and philty,

I like the suggestion. The role of Lucy in LWW was monumental; if they casted the punk that played "Anakin" in "The Phantom Menace", I would have knifed the silver screen.

ariel,

"Glow of childlike trust"--that's the phrase I was looking for. Wanna be my editor?

Lewis definitely was on to something.

jem,

Thanks for the anecdote. The rosewater flavor doesn't sound too appealing. You point to interesting ramifications for understanding LWW. Maybe the truth is the temptations people give in to appear irresistible, but really, they are like eating flowers.

rodney olsen,

I wonder if the chocolate covers up the rose gumdrop taste. I'd try it at least once.