Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Check up

I haven't been able to write anything in awhile; reality is swirling around me and I'm trying to find my way. A union looms on the horizon, but the path is not yet made straight.

...the hippies of the 1960s did understand something. They were right in fighting the plastic culture, and the church should have been fighting it too... More than this, they were right in the fact that the plastic culture - modern man, the mechanistic worldview in university textbooks and in practice, the total threat of the machine, the establishment technology, the bourgeois upper middle class - is poor in its sensitivity to nature... As a utopian group, the counterculture understands something very real, both as to the culture as a culture, but also as to the poverty of modern man's concept of nature and the way the machine is eating up nature on every side.
-Francis Schaeffer, Pollution And The Death of Man

7 comments:

AJ said...

>>reality is swirling around me and I'm trying to find my way.<<

I can echo that feeling. My classes + "extracurricular" schedule are putting up a determined fight, trying to throw me.

SunGrooveTheory said...

"the counterculture understands something very real, both as to the culture as a culture, but also as to the poverty of modern man's concept of nature and the way the machine is eating up nature on every side."Very, very good.

SunGrooveTheory said...

I mean that it is a "very good" (i.e. very true, insighful, etc.) quote.

Oneway the Herald said...

I'm glad you dug it. Francis Schaeffer is a provocative writer.

SunGrooveTheory said...

Yeah, provocative. That's a good word for it =)

Anonymous said...

oneway,

enjoy your golden birthday today. i'll be drinking Honey Brown in your honor.

Oneway the Herald said...

Thanks. Make it a Harp.

Or a Zima. I love Zima.