Thursday, February 17, 2005

Sympathy

It is generally accepted that in order to evaluate the actions of people, you must first sympathize with them. It's the polite thing to do. But, there is a perverse idea of sympathy being propagated by the secular humanist religion dominating the popular American culture today. Kindness and love, the fruits of the Spirit that are the foundation of true sympathy, have been usurped by pride, the chief jewel in the existential crown, leading to a twisted notion of sympathy that is debilitating to those that espouse it and frustrating to those who it is being forced upon, which is everyone else.

You'll notice this perversion principally in discussions involving race and gender. It often goes down like this:

{some statement is made challenging the world view of the humanist}

"Well, you have never been...

a. a woman,
b. a man,
c. a gay man,
d. a gay woman,
e. white,
f. black,
g. hispanic,
h. asian,
i. eskimo, or
j. any combination thereof

...so you can't talk!"
(then his lame friends go "OOHHHH!" and his cool friend says, "Treated.")

The antagonist has exalted personal experience as lord over all. He would have you believe that unless you have personal experience with the exact situation being considered, any desire you have to express an appropriate opinion is hopeless due to your ignorance. Also, the more experiential categories that you can display mirrored in your own life, the more weight your opinion holds. This is congruous with the existential philosophy that walks hand-in-hand (or hand-in-foot, or foot-in-backside, it's all relative) with the secular humanist religion, so at the very least his momentary consistency should be lauded.

The discussion, for all rational purposes, is effectively over as far as reaching an understanding about either race or gender. Not, as the humanist would have you think, because he has leveled your opinion like a French airport. It is because his existential beliefs are the cracked foundation upon which he has tragically built his teetering worldview. There is no sense in laboring to build the third floor on this soon to be condemned structure. The best thing one can do is help him abandon it. Then demolish it so no kids start playing inside and get hurt.

The secular humanists all are looking from slanted floors and crooked windows at the house built on the steady Rock, the level Cornerstone, and insisting that it resembles the Tower of Pisa. The trouble is, this foolishness is so rampant among the American culture that we find people rooted on the Rock speaking as if they too have placed their hope on a faltering foundation.

"Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted." (NASB Bible, Book of Hebrews, chapter 2, verses 17 and 18)

"For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (NASB Bible, Book of Hebrews, chapter 4, verses 15 and 16)

These verses from the Word of God are speaking of Jesus Christ, the Rock and Cornerstone, who is also our high priest. They declare one of the most soul-reassuring truths known to man, namely, that Jesus, the Son of God, can sympathize with us! The glorious shine from this facet of God's character illumines and warms any life placed before it.

Read the verses in context for a true understanding and even study the Greek.

The temptation of Jesus in the desert

The knowledge presented in these chapters of scripture make any point I feebly try to make negligible. But I will humbly go on.

The Spirit of God purports to teach us to assuredly approach Jesus with full confidence of His ability to understand us and be compassionate towards our troubles by asserting through the Word that Jesus can sympathize with us. This fact is undergirded by pointing to Jesus' experience in becoming fully human, in that Jesus was tempted to sin, and thus, this passage makes a convincing case for His ability show compassion on us due to Jesus' encounters with temptation. Of note is also that Jesus' full divinity is not mentioned in regard to His sympathy for us, except as an obvious inference from His sinlessness.

Any existential claim (can a relativist have a claim?) that in order to sympathize with another person one must experience their set of circumstances is evaporated in the light of these passages like the nebulous mist before the awakening glory of the dawning sun. This fallacy carried out to its logical progression would render Jesus unable to sympathize with any non-heterosexual, non-Jewish, non-male. Thankfully, this is untrue.

The false definition of sympathy fuels much of the mistaken clamor surrounding the need for "diversity" in schools, businesses, churches, and the like. It is not necessary to experience every beautiful and horrifying nuance in the human journey to gain compassion for all of God's creation. The Book of Hebrews reveals that Jesus is able to sympathize with us all who are also tempted. In turn, following Jesus' example, resisting those temptations is the path towards sympathy. The closer we move to the Father, the more able we are to emulate His gift to us: Love. This will lead to more compassion than all the social engineering we can dream of.

"Modesty has moved from the organ of ambition. Modesty has settled on the organ of conviction; where it was never meant to be. A man was meant to be doubtful about himself, but undoubting about the truth; this has been exactly reversed. Nowadays the part of a man that a man does assert, is exactly the part he ought to doubt--himself. The part he doubts is exactly the part he ought not to doubt--the Divine Reason."--G.K. Chesterton in Orthodoxy

8 comments:

pepperdeaf said...

Great piece of writing.

I agreed with everything until you got to the >>Any existential claim (can a relativist have a claim?) that in order to sympathize with another person one must experience their set of circumstances is evaporated . . .<< paragraph. I am not sure how you were able to analogize Jesus' being able to relate to our temptations, to human beings being able to understand the life experiences of others (not necessarily even sins, but just life experiences). I guess I am not even sure why that is important. Maybe I am missing something.

I am not sure what you mean by "sympathize," but I assume you mean it as "understanding" and not simply as showing compassion. If used in the "understanding" sense, I am not convinced that I can truly understand every experience of everyone else. For instance, I do not think I can truly understand the experience of one of the tsunami survivors who daily wonders why they survived and others perished. I try, but I know it is not the same.

Let my try another example. One time at a retreat there was a polar bear dip. The lake was frozen over and they cut a hole in the ice so that people could jump in. As people were jumping in, I noticed that the second they hit the water they jumped back out. I told some friends that I was going to jump in and stay in the water for a few seconds instead of jumping immediately back out. They told me that I did not understand how cold the water was and that I could not do it. I said I understand that it's cold, but watch I will stay in. They watched as I jumped in and then immediately out of the water. It was cold!!! I did not understand no matter how much I thought I did.

There are some things I will never experience and will probably never fully understand, but I know a being that is much greater than I am that does understand.

I do not think my job is to act like I understand everyone's problems. It is simply to help connect them to someone who does, namely God through Christ. And the more diversity you have in a given group, the bigger God gets because he undeniably affects us each under varying circumstances.

>>The closer we move to the Father, the more able we are to emulate His gift to us: Love. This will lead to more compassion than all the social engineering we can dream of.<<

Amen.

Oneway the Herald said...

What up, pepperdeaf, thanks for the love.

>>I am not sure how you were able to analogize Jesus' being able to relate to our temptations, to human beings being able to understand the life experiences of others (not necessarily even sins, but just life experiences).<<
>>..by "sympathize," but I assume you mean it as "understanding" and not simply as showing compassion.<<

You introduced an idea of "understanding", and then proceeded to explain why that idea of understanding is only fulfilled through exact experience.

This experiential understanding is not necessary in order have sympathy and show compassion. I may not have been clear on this, I think my writing still needs refinement, so I appreciate the comment.

Ninjanun said...

Yes, I think pepperdeaf is talking about empathy which involves understanding someone intellectually, which can lead to relating to how they feel, given that you've been in a similar situation, whereas you seem to be talking more about sympathy, which involves a natural feeling of relating to how they are feeling (regardless if you've experienced the same thing or not). The two are very similar in definition, though, so they often get used interchangeably.

What is this secular humanistic religion you speak of? Are you sure you don't mean secular humanistic philosophy? The term "secular" implies it is devoid of religion, so the term you use seems to be a bit of an oxymoron. :)

Oneway the Herald said...

Thanks for asking, ninjanun.

"Among religions in this country which do not teach what would generally be considered a belief in the existence of God are Buddhism, Taoism, Ethical Culture, Secular Humanism and others."

From Supreme Court Opinion Torcaso v. Watkins, 1961

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=367&invol=488

SunGrooveTheory said...

Hmmmm, ok, but

First, there are certain situations where you just have to have experienced the circumstances to know how you would react- and that is regardless of your race or religion or gender, etc.
So, sometimes, experience does mean wisdom. I can sit here all night and say I would never kill someone or have an abortion, but if the right circumstances came along, what do I know??

HOWever! I'm not sure what you mean by secular humanist, but humanist implies simply that- of or relating to humans. in general. without discrimination on the basis of creed, race, gender... I'm pretty sure that any male can relate to most things that I experience as a female, and I'm pretty fed up with gender stereotypes in general. Now, I will concede that men in general probably cannot fully sympathize with things such as 'menses' or labor pains, however, as far as having a pretty good understanding, which can be related to them through communication- - Yes, I think they are capable of that, just as we are capable of relating to such things as "blue balls" "jock itch" or other categorically male experiences, because these experiences are described well to us by men.

In summary: Although I am forced to make the concession that there are some things that some people may not be able to fully empathize with based on some form of communication, I highly doubt that 'you don't fit into this category, which I fit into, and thus have more experience than you, and endless wisdom on the subject.' is a good argument for anything.

AJ said...

Good stuff, man. I also object to the notion that to speak to a person or predicament, one must have experienced or been that predicament/person. As you suggest, this conclusion comes to us from "pride, the chief jewel in the existential crown." Taken to its logical end, this would imply that none of us can really understand any of us.

pepperdeaf said...

I am still a little confused about the issues here. I have basically agreed with everyone's posts thus far, but am confused with the overall point.

For instance, if I were to go up to a non-Christian woman who is pro-choice and considering an abortion my conversation would go something like this:

Me: I do not think that you should have an abortion because I believe that it is the willful termination of a life and that the decision will have future ramifications on your psychological well-being. (I would never be able to come up with those words on the spot, but it would go something like that)

Woman: well that is nice, but you have no idea what it is like to be a woman stuck with an unwanted pregnancy.

Me: true, but that does not change whether it is right or wrong to have an abortion.

Woman: what may be right for you, may not be right for me

Me: right is right. we have contrasting viewpoints so one of us must be right and the other wrong (appealing to some absolute standard) . . . and so on

I think this conversation represents a relatavistic argument, but how does this conversation relate to me showing sympathy for the woman? I can not think of any scenario where this woman would say, "stop showing me sympathy." Even if she decided to go ahead with the abortion, I should show her compassion and care. Her reaction to my kindness should not change the fact that I care and will act accordingly.

I do not know what I would do in particluar situations, but I am generally certain of what I ought to do in those situations. It is the ought that is rested on divine truth and that should be conveyed to others, regardless of whether they accept it.

Oneway the Herald said...

>>...divine truth and that should be conveyed to others, regardless of whether they accept it.<<

Yessir! We are to show the truth in love.

>>how does this conversation relate to me showing sympathy for the woman? I can not think of any scenario where this woman would say, "stop showing me sympathy."<<

I don't understand this reasoning. I am proposing we shed the false distortions of sympathy by basing it on Jesus' exemplary life. It is not contingent on others' reception.

The Word of God tells us to anticipate rejection, but ultimately, victory is the Lord's, and that is our hope.